Driving experience in Ireland is generally not recognized in Canada, although some insurance companies may be willing to allocate a driving credit.
- Obtain written proof of your driving record in Ireland.
- If purchasing or leasing an automobile in Canada, check the insurance rates for each type of automobile. Rates vary dramatically for different types of cars. The #1 car for theft will be more expensive to insure.
- If you purchase or lease through a dealer, ask them to refer you to an insurance agent who will be willing to seek a low insurance rate with a reputable company. Many dealers have colleagues in the insurance industry that will help the dealer close a sale.
- Check with other new arrivals to see where they might have obtained a good deal.
- Shop around–rates can vary from one broker to another.