Returning to Ireland with a Non-EEA Spouse:
post-template-default,single,single-post,postid-17077,single-format-standard,bridge-core-2.6.0,cookies-not-set,qode-page-transition-enabled,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,qode-theme-ver-24.5,qode-theme-bridge,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-6.5.0,vc_responsive

Returning to Ireland with a Non-EEA Spouse:

Returning to Ireland with a Non-EEA Spouse:


Returning to Ireland with a Non-EEA Spouse? You’ll want to read this!

Can my non-Irish spouse come back to live in Ireland with me?
There is no automatic right under Irish law for an Irish citizen to have their non-EEA spouse join them in Ireland.  However, applications for residency based on marriage with an Irish citizen can be granted if you meet certain conditions.What do I need to do before coming to Ireland?
If your spouse is from outside the EEA, the first step is to check if he/she will need a visa to enter Ireland.  You can check this at the following do I apply for a visa?
If your spouse does need a visa to enter Ireland, you must apply for a Long Stay ‘D’ visa online before you come to Ireland.  Information about this type of visa can be found here:  The online application form can be accessed at the following link:  A Long Stay ‘D’ visa can take up to six months to be processed, so it is important to plan ahead in plenty of time if you want your spouse to travel with you to Ireland.
What happens when we are entering Ireland?
Whether your spouse requires an entry visa or not, all citizens of non-EEA countries are subject to immigration control on arrival in Ireland.  If you will be travelling together, you should go to the non-EU passport control/immigration counter together and bring your marriage certificate with you.  Your spouse should inform the Immigration officer at the airport of his/her intention to apply for residency based on marriage to an Irish citizen.  Your spouse should then receive a temporary entrance clearance stamp in his/her passport.What do I need to do after I arrive in Ireland? 
After you and your spouse enter Ireland, your spouse must apply for permission to stay in Ireland and register with Immigration. You will need to do this within 90 days of your arrival in Ireland, or before the date that was stamped in your spouse’s passport at the airport (which could be less than 90 days).If your spouse was not required to have a visa to enter Ireland, or if your spouse has recently arrived in Ireland with the correct Long Stay ‘D’ visa, then in order to apply for permission to stay in Ireland and register, both you (the Irish citizen) and your spouse should attend together at your local Registration office.

If you are living in Dublin you need to make an online appointment to go to the Irish Naturalisation & Immigration Service Registration Office at 13/14 Burgh Quay, Dublin 2:  If you are living outside Dublin you should go together to your Garda District Headquarters. You can find this

What documents do we need for registration? 
When you are presenting for registration, you should bring your original marriage certificate, your original Irish passport, your spouse’s original passport, and evidence of your joint address in Ireland.

What immigration permission will my spouse receive? 
Your spouse should receive a Stamp 4 immigration permission straight away, which will allow him/her to live and work in Ireland without the need for an employment permit.

Where can I get more information about the process?
Our factsheet provides more detailed residence information for non-EEA spouses of Irish citizens:

You can also find official information on the website of the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service (INIS):