12 Mar In a Trade and working in Ontario? Interested in PR?
Ontario Express Entry Skilled Trades Stream
The Express Entry Skilled Trades Stream of the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP) allows skilled trades workers with work experience in an eligible trade to settle permanently in Ontario through the federal Express Entry immigration system.
Because this stream is aligned with Express Entry, successful candidates obtain 600 additional Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) points and an Invitation To Apply (ITA) for permanent residence at a subsequent draw from the pool.
To be eligible under the OINP Express Entry Skilled Trades Stream, candidates must:
- Have a valid profile in the federal Express Entry pool;
- Be eligible for the Canadian Experience Class (CEC);
- Indicate an interest in immigrating to either Ontario or “All Provinces and Territories”, as designated in the Express Entry profile; and
- Have received a Notification of Interest from Ontario through the IRCC Express Entry online account.
Candidates must also meet the following provincial criteria:
- Work Experience: At least 12 months of full-time (or the equivalent in part-time) work experience in Ontario within two years from the date of issuance of the Notification of Interest (NOI) from Ontario. Work experience must be in a skilled trade occupation listed in Minor Group 633 or Major Group 72, 73, or 82 of the National Occupational Classification (NOC) system.
- Trade Certification (if required): A trade license or certification from the Ontario College of Trades, if the candidate is working, or has worked, in an occupation in Ontario that requires a license or certification.
- Current Residence in Ontario: Currently residing in Ontario on a valid work permit.
- Language: A minimum of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 5 in English or in French. This must be proved by taking a standardized language test recognized by the governments of Ontario and Canada.
- Settlement Funds: A minimum level of settlement funds.
- Intent: An intention to reside in Ontario.
Candidates in the Express Entry pool may not apply directly to the OINP under the Express Entry Skilled Trades Stream. First, candidates must secure a NOI from Ontario through their IRCC online account.
Once a NOI has been received, candidates have 45 calendar days from the date the NOI letter was issued to submit an online application to the OINP. Applications are submitted online through Ontario’s unique application management system.
The government of Ontario advises potential applicants to gather all relevant paper work and supporting documentation required for an application. Any document that is not in English or French must be translated and certified, and notarized if required.
The application fee is $1,500.
After an application has been submitted, it will be reviewed by the OINP. If successful, the candidate will receive 600 additional CRS points, and an ITA at a subsequent draw from the Express Entry pool. Once the application for permanent residence has been submitted, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) aims to process the application to completion within six months.
Eligible trades occupations
Expand the slides to view a list of eligible occupations in each major and minor group of the National Occupation Classification (NOC).
See full article here from canadavisa.com